Friday, April 8, 2011

There and Back Again 1: BOS to FLL


3 days, 2 piña coladas, and one very bad sunburn later, I present to you blog entry #2!

After a grueling two-week period back at school post-Cape Cod spring break (a hint of sarcasm), I was ready for another vacation. And what do you know? I was lucky enough to get one! This past weekend I packed up my bag and headed south to sunny Miami, FL. I am not sure how I managed to type 5 full pages worth of blog, but nevertheless, here it is.

So Thursday March 31, after a half-assed class (Let’s be honest, who would be able to concentrate??), I went back to my room to begin packing. I have to tell you, after a long and drawn-out winter, it sure feels good to pack nothing but shorts, t’s, tanks, bathing suits, and even a few sundresses- knowing that soon I’d rid myself entirely of my long pants and warm jacket. (Unfortunately, I did not pack sunscreen, an act that I would regret later.)

I had been really excited about this somewhat last-minute trip, not just because I was going to paradise and getting out of the cold weather, but because I was going to a place that I had never been to before in my life. I always become giddy when I go somewhere, but somewhere new took it to a whole new level. I was beyond excited for this trip. I had seen many an episode of Miami Vice (thanks to my parents), and while I was not expecting a drug-bust-shoot-out kind of deal while there, I had an idea of the setting to which I was traveling. Not to mention I have been to many other places in Florida throughout my life. I’m a big fan.

My long-term best friend Kaitlin showed up, after many a phone conversation spent squealing in excitement (I was invited on this trip with Kaitlin and her family). She ended up driving from Wesleyan to pick me up at Boston University, where we both respectively attend school (Fun fact o’ the day: she’s studying biology and economics and planning to go to med school!). Our first official act to christen this trip was, in true Kaitlin-Sam form, Bertucci’s (A lovely Italian chain of restaurants, for those of you who do not know), where we got a laugh from our waiter who seemed to either find us amusing or incredibly attractive (I think both, of course). Forgive me in advance for devoting a chunk of this entry to this one meal (But really, it’s Berticci’s, it’s totally understandable.) We learned from this guy that a good way to eat the bread and butter you are given at restaurants is to drop the butter packet into a small cup filled with hot water, which he so enthusiastically brought us. Needless to say, we were pretty excited. We had received a hugely vital piece of information for our future lives. The excitement was heightened even more-so when I realized I had $12.00 worth of Christmas-scratch-tickets to redeem. Needless to say, the trip was already off to a good start by the mere facts that I had just spent $20.00 on a feta cheese and chicken pizza, topped off with some sort of goat cheese dip concoction, and then proceeded to get the majority of the money back through the lottery. Being over 18 has its perks, folks! All of this stuff doesn’t really fit in with the purpose of this blog/entry, but A) I’m not one for sticking to rules, B) My head is always in the clouds, so random anecdotes will be a theme of my writing, and C) These seemingly small instances all added up to start off the trip on a really good note. As I progress in writing these, I don’t think I’ll be worrying too much about condensing my writing. After all, this isn’t meant to be tailored for a specific person. It’s me and my voice. And if there is one thing that you should know about me, it’s that I talk. A lot. I love good conversation, and do my best to write in the same exact voice as I speak. Because after all, what’s the use in changing who you are to please people? (If only my English professors felt the same way…)

Nevertheless, I should probably stop rambling about the lunch we had (Still drooling…) and talk about the actual trip. Our flight was at 4:35, and we made it to Logan International Airport a little after three. After a half an hour’s time spent searching for a parking spot and futilely navigating the parking garage (Which I am pretty sure someone designed while on some form of mind-altering drug, as we were not ever able to find the “up” ramp), we began brusquely walking to meet up with Kaitlin’s parents, who had driven up from our hometown on Cape Cod. I never understood the qualms people had with this airport, as every travel experience I have had with it has been relatively pleasant. The only thing is that I always seem to pack my things in the manner that makes my two-second journey through security a free-for-all. We were flying Jet Blue, which, in my two times flying with the Zelmans thus far, we have flown. They are big fans, and I don’t blame them. TONS of “legroom”! The plane was delayed something like forty five minutes. Eventually we made it on. I had just enough time to look out the window and see the impending storm and subsequently receive about five different text messages yelling at me in jealousy for leaving everyone in Boston with snow before we were off.

Flight was fine, overall. I would say one of the more turbulent ones I’ve been on, but it got is from point A to point B. I am quite proud of myself. For a chunk of my life I suffered from an intense fear of flying (Not helped by my addiction to the television show Lost). On this plane ride, which was ironically one of the most turbulent flights I have ever been on, I was just fine. I had True Grit  to entertain me (A huge recommendation by me, have yet to see the original but fully plan on it so I can compare the two.), and my perpetual love of mindless staring out of windows. The one complaint I had was my inability to see the sunset from the air because of the weather. I was so looking forward to snapping a few sunset photos. In the long run I did manage to get a few cool ones, though.


After a somewhat excessive plane ride (I neglected basic geography and forgot that hey, Miami is further south than Disney World!) of about three and a half hours, we landed in Ft. Lauderdale –Hollywood International Airport. I will always love that feeling of leaving a cold place for a warm one, because there is something so cool about stepping onto the Jetway and feeling the unexpected rush of warm air against your body (In this case your long-pants and flannel shirt covered body- representing the North!) We rented a car, and were off to South Beach.

As it was nighttime, I was not expecting to get much of a feel for the city, but I was proven somewhat wrong. After a trip over the scenic Julia Tuttle Causeway which provided us with a beautiful panoramic view of Miami at night (SUCH a huge city!!), we went down some side roads to get to our hotel that gave an adequate preview of the city. The streets were bustling with people going out, (and also with girls who seemed to take the idea of short shorts to a whole new level). By the time we made it to the hotel, I had gotten a small feel for the rich diversity of the area, and also scoped out a touristy shop that Kaitlin and I wanted to (and eventually did) hit.

We did not know that our hotel was an invisible one. That is to say, we passed right by it. When we found it by the street number, we all laughed because the sign was about a one foot by one foot plaque.

The hotel was absolutely beautiful. We stayed at The Setai, which I had previously heard was beautiful. Of course, you can never go off of what you hear until you actually experience it, I’ve definitely learned that in my lifetime. The hotel was absolutely breathtaking in itself. It definitely had that “zen” feeling of a resort in paradise. It sort of reminded me of the place I had stayed in Atlantis and the place I stayed last summer on a trip with Kaitlin to see a Tanglewood concert in Western Mass. It had an artsy feel, as well. There was many a limbless statue spotted. I don’t understand certain forms of art, but I went with it.

The people who worked there were warm and friendly from the start. Of course, I remembered that I was in Miami, and I wanted to pull out my Spanish language knowledge that I had acquired over the past eight years, but I also did not want to stereotype by assuming that certain workers knew the language, so I did not. Even though it does not seem like something that should be an intense internal debate, I am far too paranoid and always overly conscious about insulting people.

Entering the apartment-style-room was, for lack of a better phrasing of any sort, really freakin’ cool! And of course, it is worth mentioning the complementary truffles that greeted us when we walked in. There were a lot of things that we got a kick out of. I tend to be highly amused and amazed by small things, so I went a little crazy. This was definitely a room fit to fuel my need for intense relaxation. After running around a little bit (ok, a lot), and exclaiming over certain things (There was a bidet in one of the bathrooms which Kaitlin and I shamelessly “wiki-how’d” how to use later that night. No, we did not use it. But all the same, it was tempting.), I made it to the balcony, where it pretty much took my breath away. To the right was the entirety of the city of Miami, to the left- South Beach (Which wasn’t visible by night, mind you. All I was able to see was the flashing of the distant boats. The rest was an abyss. Needless to say, I was quite excited for the morning). I immediately took out my camera and used my knowledge of photographing the Boston city-scape at night a few times toward the Miami city-scape. I should add that my butt is quite sore from kicking myself because I neglected to bring my tripod. I told myself over and over again that that was the one thing I had really wanted to bring. I might have gotten some better-quality city-scape photos, who knows. but I’m very content with what I was able to capture, and can officially say that I see an improvement starting in my photography.

After conversing with Kaitlin and her parents for awhile longer, I conked out in what can be deemed one of the more comfortable beds I’ve been in (I’ll always have a soft spot for my creaky, 30 year old bed waiting for me in Marstons Mills).

Kaitlin and I are up and goers. That is to say, we do not like sleeping in on vacations. So the next morning at around 8:45, Kaitlin got up and told me the time, and I, in turn, bolted upright. Time to get up! The first thing I did was to look outside and see the view in the daytime. Sparkling blue water and a beautiful skyline met my eyes. And also a gigantic rainbow!! I loved it. I was in paradise.

The view to the left!
The view to the right!

The weather that first full day (Friday, April 2) was somewhat cloudy. It was actually fortunate that we chose to do homework for a few hours in the morning, as there were a number of scattered thunderstorms. I love rain, though. There really is something to be said for the way it manages to both calm and inspire me. And I didn’t mind doing homework on that balcony. Her parents awoke, and got ready. The main reason that this trip was happening was because her dad wanted to go to the Sony-Ericsson Tennis Tournament. While he did that, her mom, Kaitlin, and I hit the beach- a grueling 500 feet walk from our hotel.  

I’m not the biggest beach person (ironic, seeing as I live on Cape Cod), but I was loving this. That's not to say I don't love the beach. Because I do. I guess I just gage myself against other Cape Codders, who are hardcore beachgoers. The water became more and more beautiful as we got closer. We sat down in what could possibly be the most comfortable beach chair ever, and were relaxing. After some laying, some WONDERFUL swimming, some eating, and some sun burning, we were satisfied. I got my piña colada, and that was really enough for me. There were a few instances where we were stalked by what seemed to be an army’s worth of seagulls, but was really probably about twenty-five. This was a little disconcerting, as it was not my goal to be pooped on while in Miami, but we made it through clean! I would also note that I saw many a plane landing from up-close, as the airport is nearby. It was really cool! Even just people-watching was fun. There are so many different types of people, as with any tourist-y place, but here in particular. I heard a great number of accents pass me by.

Dorky reflection picture of yours truly!

Kaitlin (left) and myself (right) at South Beach in front of the Atlantic!


Around 5:30, Kaitlin and I headed back to the room to change and go for a much-needed run. I had not run in about a week, and was really feeling the physical as well as the mental withdraw of no physical activity whatsoever. Luckily, there was a convenient walk-way that ran alongside the length of the coast. In the words of Glen Frey: “The heat is on”, but it wasn’t as on as earlier. While running, we got many a cat-call from some residents along the way, and I got some good impressions of the South Beach area and its architecture (I have never been to Hollywood, but the Hollywood Studios in the Orlando Disney World was definitely reflected in these buildings- something that greatly amused Kaitlin and I.). When we got back, I was huffing and puffing. It is no easy feat, running 3 + miles in the Florida heat and humidity after sitting on your butt for a few weeks. I really loved seeing some more of the South Beach area, though, so that was worth the pain to me.

After showers (In the world’s most amazing shower- my first experience with an overhead nozzle, yeah, I did not want to get out, and I took three showers total this day), we went into the town to walk around before we were due to meet Kaitlin’s parents for dinner. We did not quite fit with the implied dress code of five-inch heels and tight dresses, but I’ve never been one for heels, anyways. I cannot walk in them to save my life. Put me on a rickety bridge over an active volcano and I’m a goner.

We had time to go to the one touristy store that we had spotted the night before before we met, where I snagged a “I’m on a Boat” t-shirt with Andy Samberg’s silhouette (FTW!) and a Miami Vice t shirt for my dad for his birthday. We then walked towards the restaurant, and met up with Kaitlin’s parents.

The restaurant was called The Grill Fish. Unfortunately, at the time I had developed quite the stomachache. Nevertheless, the macaroni and cheese that I so cautiously ordered was quite delicious. And I had some bites of “stake on a stick”, as Kaitlin so accurately dubbed it. After the meal, we were all plum tuckered, so we returned home, and I hit the hay (After a minor battle with my stomach of which I won.).

I awoke before everyone else the next day, and got to do some homework. We had a relaxing breakfast in the room, and then made our way to the pool. This was a nice excursion. Kaitlin, her dad, and I also went to the beach again for a quick dip. I should add that it is quite interesting to me when I discover a beach allows lack of clothes. I guess this is what other places are like that I have yet to discover. Then again, I’ve never been one for nude beaches. How to make small talk with people you don’t know is anybody’s guess.

The sky was crystal clear for this day of relaxation. I got my virgin piña colada, yet again. I also tried a taste of the alcoholic version. Now, I’m not a liquor person to begin with. I enjoy the taste of beer and even wine, but I’ve never understood people’s preference for the taste of liquor. Maybe it’s an acquired one? I don’t know. I did indeed prefer the non-alcoholic version, and that case was closed. “If you like piña coladas…” –Yep.

After extensive relaxing under the sun (Much needed after this long, cold, and dark winter), Kaitlin, her dad, and I went on a run along the boardwalk, which went pretty well (Most definitely better than the night before.) The dinner that night was at a lovely restaurant called “The Blue Door Fish”. The cool thing about this place is that it supposedly was designed to emulate the Alice in Wonderland story with the oversized furniture, which I definitely did not connect at first when I walked in and stared confusedly at the 10 ft. tall couch. The salmon that I ordered was quite delicious. Once again, my exhausted and sunburnt self hit the hay not long after we returned home, but not before I managed to prop my camera up on a patio table and get some pretty cool shots of the night city-scape (When in doubt, search for another stationary object in the near vicinity to put your camera on!).

Miami City Scape


And here we are! Sunday April 3 at 9:30 am and I am sitting here writing. Our flight is at West Palm Beach Airport at 1:50. This was a wonderful trip, and much needed, and I’m sure I will be back here sometime very soon to see that sunrise. I will certainly miss this place. There is something about crystal blue water that always gets me. Miami is very different than other plces I’ve been before, and in my quest to visit all of Florida, it differs extremely from Orlando, Cape Canaveral, the Pan Handle, and Tampa (and whatever places I’m forgetting). I still have a lot I want to see in Florida, and I as I am only twenty years old, I think I’ll be back here a good amount of times in my life. I still have to go to the Everglades, after all! Miami is a place definitely worth seeing in your lifetime- the view from our room, alone, summed it up, a paradise and a city all in one. Of course, I can’t even begin to thank the Zelman’s, who are 2nd parents to me and always will be.

For now, it’s time to return to Boston. Where the weather is finally reaching the 50’s and the Sox are returning home. It sure isn’t Miami, Florida, but I’ll take it! One month left of classes until I’m a junior in college- time goes faster and faster with each passing day.

I can’t believe I had five pages worth of thoughts. What in the world does this mean for longer trips? You’ve probably deduced that I’m not one for narrowing things down. I’ve always been wordy, which is what brings me down constantly in college-level English. This blog is meant for anything and everything. I’m trying to focus it on trips, however big or small. However, other topics will most likely be making their way in every now and then. I could get used to travel writing. It's kind of addicting! This describes in detail my trip to Miami, Florida from Thursday March 31 to Sunday August 3, 2011. Definitely dubbed a weekend of relaxation with plenty of laughs between the 4 of us. And also a weekend of breathtaking views. Nothing like that first moment of the year when you walk out of the house wearing flip-flops. 

(For reading this, I probably owe you a drink someday or something…)
Cheers!
Sam

Edit: Congrats to the Red Sox on their first win of the season, win against the Yanks, and first home opener- all in one! 9-6!
Edit edit: I swear I will get better at this "html" business eventually. I'm actually going to switch websites soon, I think. But that's for when I have time to figure it out!



Paradise...


1 comment:

  1. I try and make it my goal to not get pooped on wherever I go.

    ReplyDelete