Thursday, April 14, 2011

There and Back Again: "A Hobbit's Tale"

So I had mentioned before that not all of this blog would be about the places I visit. Thanks to Megan, I came across this video today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Tckrt3bP8&feature=player_embedded

And this website:

http://the-hobbitmovie.com/peter-jackson-releases-exclusive-video-from-hobbit-set/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I've known and been excited about The Hobbit for a long long time. But after I saw this video blog, I became much more excited. It seems as if a lot of elements from The Lord of the Rings films will be incorporated into this film. That sounds very obvious and like there should be no surprises there, but I've seen films that lack continuity in certain areas because of various reasons, change in directors being among the most prominent. Peter Jackson seems like he won't let much change happen, and in that respect I breathe a sigh of relief. I am a huge fan of his. I would be if I had just seen this video blog and didn't know anything else about him. From this blog alone you can tell that he truly cares about the fans and wants them to be included. He acknowledges the cult following that these films have created, and knows that there are diehard fans out there. In my opinion, his utter devotion to these stories makes him a stand-up director. 

As you probably can tell by the title of this blog, I am a huge Lord of the Rings fan. I always have been, and I always will. In fact, of the few things that I am certain I want to do in my life, going to New Zealand and touring around the filming locations for The Lord of the Rings (and now The Hobbit) is perhaps one of if not the biggest. In fact, one of my life's milestones occurred when Kaitlin and I went to The Lord of the Rings: The Exhibition, an exhibit that came to the Boston Museum of Science years and years ago. Not only was the exhibit itself awesome, but we were there on the day Sean Astin (who plays Samwise Gamgee, for all you non-dorks out there) was greeting fans and signing autographs. Unfortunately, we did not get to meet him directly, as the line was out the door for all eternity by the time we got there. However, he DID wave to us. And I will truly never forget that wave, or that day.

I have good feelings about this film. I only wish I didn't have to wait 3 years. But I know it will totally be worth it. I'll just have to be sure to wear an awesome costume and buy my midnight release ticket!

So random factoid of the day: Sam loves LotR! Always have, always will. And just for kicks, a quote to end the post:

Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. 
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

And a funny/even more classic one:

Borimir: One does not simply walk into Mordor!

Again, thanks for reading, cheers!

-Sam


No comments:

Post a Comment